Welcome to the Digital Atlas of Ancient Life
We need your support
Continued development and maintenance of the Digital Atlas of Ancient Life and the Paleontological Research Institution's (PRI's) broader [email protected] project depends on support from visitors like you.
Donations of any amount are welcome.
September 10, 2021
A revised and expanded chapter about gastropods (snails and slugs) has been added to the Digital Encyclopedia of Ancient Life.
August 27, 2021
A new page about angiosperm leaf architecture has been added to the Digital Encyclopedia of Ancient Life.
April 20, 2021
Skulls of ancient hominids have been added to the Virtual Collection.
Daring to Dig: Women in American Paleontology explores the achievements, adventures, and discoveries made by women in American paleontology over the past few centuries.
This online exhibit also considers the personal and societal challenges that these pioneering scientists faced and examines their professional accomplishments in the broader context of the history of paleontology as a scientific discipline in the United States.
Regional field guides to fossils
Topics online now:
- Nature of the Fossil Record
- Geological Time
- Evolution and the Fossil Record
- Conservation Paleobiology
- Phylum Porifera (sponges)
- Phylum Cnidaria, Order Rugosa (rugose corals)
- Phylum Cnidaria, Order Tabulata (tabulate corals)
- Phylum Cnidaria, Order Scleractinia
- Phylum Brachiopoda (brachiopods)
- Phylum Bryozoa
- Phylum Mollusca, Class Gastropoda (gastropods)
- Phylum Mollusca, Class Bivalvia (bivalves)
- Phylum Mollusca, Class Cephalopoda (cephalopods)
- Phylum Echinodermata (echinoderms)
- Phylum Chordata (chapter in progress)
- Embryophytes (land plants, chapter in progress)
- Angiosperms (flowering plants, chapter in progress)
- Paleontological Methods and Techniques: Photogrammetry