Welcome to the Digital Atlas of Ancient Life
We need your support
Continued development and maintenance of the Digital Atlas of Ancient Life and the Paleontological Research Institution's (PRI's) broader [email protected] project depends on support from visitors like you.
Donations of any amount are welcome.
June 24, 2022
A new page on Leaf Margin Analysis (LMA) has been added to the paleoecology chapter. LMA is a technique used to estimate mean annual temperature using fossil leaves of flowering trees and shrubs.
May 23, 2022
Undergraduate students at the University of Kansas have created a series of videos that explain the idea of punctuated equilibrium and stasis, as well as its connections to macroevolutionary theory.
Regional field guides to fossils
Topics online now:
- Nature of the Fossil Record
- Geological Time
- Evolution and the Fossil Record
- Conservation Paleobiology
- Phylum Porifera (sponges)
- Phylum Cnidaria, Order Rugosa (rugose corals)
- Phylum Cnidaria, Order Tabulata (tabulate corals)
- Phylum Cnidaria, Order Scleractinia
- Phylum Brachiopoda (brachiopods)
- Phylum Bryozoa
- Phylum Mollusca, Class Gastropoda (gastropods)
- Phylum Mollusca, Class Bivalvia (bivalves)
- Phylum Mollusca, Class Cephalopoda (cephalopods)
- Phylum Echinodermata (echinoderms)
- Phylum Chordata (chapter in progress)
- Embryophytes (land plants, chapter in progress)
- Angiosperms (flowering plants, chapter in progress)
- Paleontological Methods and Techniques: Photogrammetry